Photo by Logan Weaver on Unsplash
Back-to-school season means more than just matching pencil boxes, cool new clothes, and meeting new friends for some students–for our older ones, it means the first time they’ll be rolling into the school parking lot, driver's license in wallet, and parking permit approved!
We all remember those first car feelings and all the terrific memories that came with it. But many of us also may remember forgetting that the oil needed to be changed, not paying attention to the brake pads, or neglecting crucial elements of our vehicle. Now that school’s back, are you ready to teach your kids car maintenance?
The basics of car maintenance.
Your teens may not know all that car maintenance encompasses. They may be focused on filling up the tank with gas, but you should also remind them of:
- Oil changes. These need to be scheduled every 3,000 miles to ensure everything is lubricated and running smoothly.
- Tire rotation. Getting the tires rotated helps them tread evenly and prevents needing a new set sooner than necessary. You should do this every 5,000 miles.
- Vehicle alignment. You should get a vehicle alignment every 6,000 miles.
- Fluid top-off. Fluid top-off should happen as needed and includes adding fluids to your brakes, power steering, windshield wiper, and other systems. If your teen finds they’re doing this often, there may be a leak. Coolant would also fall under this category.
- Air filter changes. The air filter should be changed every 15,000 to 30,000 miles–this isn’t often (unless your kid is driving around a lot!), but it’s often forgotten.
- Other routine maintenance. Car parts only have a certain life expectancy. Your battery, serpentine belt, brake lights, etc., may need to be replaced at one point or another. Encourage your teen to check their manual and see how many miles are suggested before checking up on these parts via the car manufacturer.
Setting up reminders on their phone or checking in with them weekly will help them build better habits and may keep you on top of your vehicle maintenance!
Come see us for all your maintenance and repair needs!
If you are in the area of Cincinnati, Ohio, Contact Dubwerx today for an appointment with our specialist technicians! And don't forget to follow us on Facebook for news and updates. We look forward to meeting you and your Audi, Volkswagen, or Porsche. We are located at 6323 Madison Rd. Cincinnati, OH 45227, our hours are Mon - Fri: 8:00 AM - 5:30 PM.